Summer is here! For many of us, the change in season drives change in how we live our lives; time spent outdoors, ways we socialise with family and friends, the foods we eat and often increasing activity levels in the warmer months.
The warmer weather and change in conditions can also make our bodies more susceptible to different health issues and there are a few key tips that we can all employ as part of our everyday routine to keep ourselves and our families happy, safe and healthy this summer.
1. Stay cool & hydrated.
- Sip water frequently throughout the day, be mindful of when you are feeling thirsty.
- Take a water bottle with you on day trips and holidays.
- Do your best to limit, or better still avoid, sugar-filled drinks, alcohol and tea/coffee, which can make you even more dehydrated.
Plan ahead to stay cool.
- Keep your house cool by closing windows in the day, drawing curtains/blinds. Get fresh air into the home by opening windows at night when its cooler
2. Summer foods & fun.
- Eat seasonal local produce, salads and smaller, lighter meals – fruit and vegetables that are grown, picked and eaten fresh will have higher levels of vitamins and minerals.
- Make family eating interesting, fun and healthy – create easy-to-make healthy & delicious treats for the family such as crisp cold watermelon straight from the fridge, juice ice-blocks or crisp frozen grapes from the freezer.
3. Stay sun smart.
- Slip on a long-sleeved shirt.
- Slop on the SPF50+ sunscreen.
- Slap on a wide-brimmed hat.
- Seek shade – endeavour to stay out of the sun between 10am – 3pm, when UV Index levels are at their peak.
- Slide on a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Skin checks – make a habit of getting your skin checked at least once a year.
4. Travel & health.
- Bushfires and air quality – consider air quality before heading outside during the summer months. Suburban areas nowhere near bushfires can also experience poor air quality caused by smoke and ash in the air.
- Vaccinations – if you’re heading overseas this summer, then please ensure you make an appointment with us to ensure that all of your vaccinations are up-to-date.
5. Fuel your body & mind
- Stay active – plan your days to include atleast 30mins of brisk exercise. This could be in the form of a morning walk/run or swim.
- Again, practice mindfulness and be open to new ways to calm a busy mind, this can be achieved through meditation, pilates or yoga.
- Immerse yourself in nature.
These are just some of the simple steps that you can take to protect you and your loved one’s health this summer.
Stay safe and wishing you a Happy Holiday Season from our Qualitas Health family to yours.
Find a Qualitas Health Medical Centre near you:
Qualitas Health is excited to have Dr Patrick Choi, Dr June Lee and the team at Royale Eastwood Medical Centre join the Qualitas network.
The practice joined the group on the 1st of February and Qualitas Health is looking forward to a strong partnership together and furhter growth of the practice.
On the 1st of June Qualitas Health welcomed the Ivanhoe Medical Clinic to the Victorian network. Ivanhoe Medical Clinic has been serving the Ivanhoe community for over 110 years, having initially commenced in 1906. Qualtias Health is excited and honoured to have such a long standing practice join the group.
On the 1st of February 2018, North Ryde Family Medical Practice joined Qualitas Health. The practice has been based in North Ryde since the 1950’s and has been at their current location for forty years. In the near future the practice will be relocating next door to a brand new premises. The new North Ryde Family Medical Practice site will provide the base for future growth of the practice and continued care for the North Ryde locals. We would like to welcome Dr Hunter, Dr Lee and the Team from North Ryde Family Medical Practice into the Qualitas Family.
Qualitas Health would like to formally welcome the 6 sites of National Healthcare Unity (NHU) into the group. Based predominantly in the south east of Melbourne the NHU group will expand the Qualitas Health network of sites in Victoria. Qualitas Health believes the NHU group will complement the existing Victorian sites well, and look forward to working with all of the Doctors and staff of NHU in the future.
Mooroolbark Medical Centre recently joined the Qualitas network, becoming the second Qualitas site in Victoria. Located in the North East of Melbourne Mooroolbark Medical Centre supports 7 GP’s, associated Allied Health and Pathology. Qualitas looks forward to further growth in Victoria and is pleased to welcome the staff and Doctors of Mooroolbark Medical Centre into the team.
The Mediprac group of practices joined the Qualitas Health network in December 2015. Mediprac consists of five medical centres in the Logan area of South Brisbane. The addition of these centres strengthens the existing network of sites in Queensland. Qualitas would like to extend a warm welcome to the GPs and staff of Mediprac and look forward to supporting ongoing growth and development in the region.
Qualitas will be attending the Sydney GPCE again this year. We welcome all GP’s and Practice Owners/Operators to drop by and meet the team.
All of the core management group will be present over the weekend along with Operational staff from NSW
Qualitas Health would like to welcome Burns Bay Medical Centre to the NSW network.
Burns Bay Medical Centre, located at Lane Cove on the lower North Shore of Sydney is a mixed billing practice operating 6 days a week. With a strong focus on family and community health Burns Bay Medical Centre’s ideals are well aligned with that of Qualitas Health. We would like to extend our warm welcome to the GP’s and Staff and look forward to supporting ongoing growth and development of the practice.
Qualitas Health is pleased to introduce Letitia Street Clinic to the New South Wales group
Located in Oatley (in the South of Sydney) Letitia Street Clinic is a 6 GP mixed billing practice. Operating 6 days a week, Letitia Street Clinic is a fully accredited traditional family GP practice. We would like to extend our warm welcome to Dr Vas, Dr Yen, Dr Koutis, Dr Wong, Dr Bery, Dr Vavladelis and all of the staff at Letitia Street Clinic and we look forward to working together and caring for the patients of the Oatley area.